Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian Brian is offline

Default New fence and options

CID wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

I pretty much concur w/ Mr Allison on the aspects. I'll note that the
vinyl I've seen here in a hot climate have tended to hold color better
than I initially expected (whitew haven't yellowed much) but they all,
I think, have sagged between posts and otherwise shown signs of the
flexibility of vinyl with time. Whether they would hold up
better/longer in a more benign environment I can't say.

I'd caution about not retaining a wide entrance at least somewhere
through the fence, though -- you never know what need might eventually
arise. Even if one side is essentially never used, it's a whole lot
simpler when, say, the A/C or pool or roofing or whatever guys need
something just a little bigger than the one gate opening in/out to have
it able to be opened...

I'll keep that in mind. The double-wide entrance used to be used for a
camper owned by the previous homeowner.

I've not seen any of the other composites as fencing for a long enough
time as yet to judge, but as Bob says, if you price it, be prepared to
make even the vinyl look inexpensive.

We just re-did the one around the church parsonage a weekend or so ago
-- went back w/ the dog-ear cedar pickets. The previous had lasted
probably nearly 40 years. Was even able to reuse a significant
fraction of the stringers which were also cedar except the bottom one
which had more damage from the sprinkler system, apparently, so the
longevity is quite satisfactory imo.

40 years! Great!

I appreciate your input, and the ideas. Thank you.

I'm guessing you are simply removing the sections and keeping the
posts. If not, I would suggest cementing the posts. A lot of people do
not cement. Cement helps keep the wood posts from rotting and if you
are in Florida - Hurricane Proof. Kidding about that, but seriously we
had a fence up for 20 years and the sections fell down a couple times,
but the posts that were cemented never did. We put them in about 32
inches for a 4x4x8 post using an auger.