Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 12v 300ma transformers to power pc case fans?

In article . com,
wrote:
I have a few old transformers that output 12volts at 300milliamps.

It only outputs 300 mA if the load demands it.

I was wondering if it was all that important to use resistors to get
the current within the stated specs for a pc case fan I wanted to try
to run on it.
I have a fan that states 0.2amps

200mA

and another that states 0.45amps.

450mA

Would it matter much if I used this transformer for either of these
fans as it is now?

If it is just a transformer, yes, as this outputs AC and most if not all
PC fans need DC.

Or would it likely ruin either fan?

If it is a DC mains adaptor it will be ok with the 200mA fan but
overloaded with the 450 mA one.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.