Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y

Default Replace old fluorescent tube with brighter?

Alex wrote:

Victor, I guess you differ and are saying that you feel the value of an
electronic fitting is greater than posted by meow2222/NT.

Against that the other poster lists that lower reliability and shorter
fitting life is a disadvantage and so is the extra cost of the unit plus
the cost/effort of installing it.

I sense that you feel that reduced energy consumption, reduced lamp
flicker and increased lamp life outweigh the disadvantages.

Would I be right in getting the impression that, very broadly speaking,
it is a close call as to whether the pros outweigh the cons or vice
versa?

The differences are simply too small imho for it to be worth replacing
one for the other in a domestic situation. And as said, the differences
are not all pros, theyre a mix.

Since you've already got a nice thermal starter setup (or perhaps
something else that doesnt flash during start), you wouldnt gain the
usual one most visible advantage of going to electronic, the
elimination of flashing during starting, which one gets with most UK
glowstart fittings.

This is a bit like arguing over whether to pick white or bright white
or snow white paint. If there are differences theyre very small, and
life has much bigger fish.

NT

PS not sure what my name has to do with anything