Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default So what's for Christmas?

On 28 Nov 2006 22:16:39 -0800, wrote:

I had never even thought of slicing one of those larger cones to make a
hanger. I think one of my neighbors has a long needle pine (no
Lodgepoles or Norfolks native this far south) that I might be able to
experiment with. I wonder... do you think they gave the cone a bath in
some kind of finish (shellac or whatever) and let it dry before they
sliced it? Seems like a saw would tear a pine cone to pieces no matter
how careful you were.

Never thought of doing anything with pine cones, but the scales are
all oriented towards the tip- if held it with the base towards you,
and a belt rotating away from you, you might be able to abrade half
away very nicely with a belt sander. Keeping the seeds intact might
be a long shot, but maybe you could break the upper layer of the
scales with the sander, and then soak in shellac (or maybe inject
clear epoxy into the center with a syringe.)

Kind of makes me want to go find a pine cone, and goof around with it
a bit.