Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is tube stiffer than bar?

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:35:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

But it all works (so far) but I wondered if I could replace the SS bar
with *tube* (of the same diameter) and would that better / (stiffer)?

No. A tube is really just a rod with the heavy and low stressed material
removed.

Nice description ;-)
Also, if not stainless is there anything else that could be used that
would make a nice sliding 'hinge' do you think please (and I don't
really want to re-design it all. e.g. silver steel, would that go
rusty?) ;-(

You MIGHT find a carbon fibre tube is a bit stiffer..3/8" is 10mm give
or take

I did think of carbon ..
Try here..

looks about Where? ;-)