Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y
Victor Roberts Victor Roberts is offline

Default Replace old fluorescent tube with brighter?

On 30 Nov 2006 08:16:17 GMT,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Depends on the starting style of the electronic one and the
average time you have the tube on each time. Switch-start will
give longer life than electronic instant start (at least in the
UK, although this seems not to be true in the US on 120V mains
where switch-start doesn't work too well). Electronic pre-heat
might give slightly longer life than switch-start, but I've
never seen any real-life evidence of this.

I'm rather surprised about your comments switch-start
lamp life in the UK. Major manufacturers are now
advertising fluorescent lamps with rated lives of 30,000
hours and greater when operated on programmed rapid start
ballasts using the 3-hour on and 20-minute off cycle. Can a
switch-start lamp in the UK really come close to that same
life with the same operating cycle?

--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.