Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler thetiler is offline

Default Question about ceramic tile grouting

wrote:
I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it
looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of
Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to
the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this
expiarion date? Thanks.

Grout loses it's properties over time. It has a shelf life of only
about a year. Not that older grout won't get hard, it just won't be
as good. If it's begun to get lumpy, you cannot break it up and
reuse it. Once the chemical reaction occurs with moisture, it
can't be revived.
It's unbelievable that grout is not hard as a brick. You must be in
Arizona. In Florida I can't keep a bag-good from getting lumpy
after about a month.

Get yourself a new bag of sanded grout and don't ruin that new
tile job. Homey Depot has 10lb. boxes that should do your job
provided it's not smaller than 8x8 tile.
If any Home Depot employee gives you advice, just do the
opposite and that should work.

Don't mix it too soupy as it will be too weakened. Mix it to about
the consistency of mayonaise.

thetiler