Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default splicing a spliced cable line

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:26:58 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:33:20 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:17:27 GMT, AZ Nomad

It's best to only split once. Find where the cable is initially split where
it enters the house and replace the three way with a four way. Downside is
that it means running a cable all the way from the cable box to the new TV.
There are also some cheap amplified splitters. I had good results with an
RCA amplified splitter I got from home depot.

I'd be better to keep the amplifier separate, so you get to use only
what you need. A too-strong signal is as bad as a too-weak one.

Agreed, although that cheapo RCA didn't seem to overamplify. If you go with an
amplified splitter, it should be a close to the cable box as possible. l If
you've lost your signal by running splitter after splitter, using an amplifier
won't recover your signal from the noise.

Right. The amplifier needs to be connected at a point BEFORE the
signal loss occurs. That is, before the splitters.

I had a multimedia computer with 3 video inputs (three capture cards); add to
that a VCR and TVs in three other rooms and I had 7 devices that needed a
signal. I ran a three way splitter at the cable box, and then two runs each to a
four way amplified splitter. The third run went to a cable modem.

A cable modem (and/or digital cable box) are best connected before any
amplifiers (and with minimum splitters) because these devices also
send signals to the cable office.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy