Posted to uk.d-i-y
Velvet Velvet is offline

Default Strange noise - deathwatch beetles?

mo wrote:
mo mo wrote in :

Hello all, thanks for the replies

Right - I don't think its any sort of CREATURE because the noise is
now pretty much constant AND It is only audible from my room and not
any of the others around

I am feeling then that it must he something in the attic moving around
or most likely the plumbing or something...the odd thing is when I
went up there (stuck my head in) i couldnt hear the sound - partly
because if was prob drown out by all the other nosie of the roads etc)

with regards to the actual noise

Basically I have a fairly small room - I have my pc desk near the middle
- i can hear the faint noise from there. If I mvoe around the room i
don't really get any closer - even if i stand high up i can't tell if
its coming from above the ceiling for sure but it def seems that way
because i thin kit owuld be more obvious if it was coming fro mthe side.

so i cant use a stethoscope - i suppose what i need a a metal dectector
for sound - somehting that will pick up very faint sound and then give
me a visual indication of when that sound is increasing!

If it's rodents (which can make tapping noises) then it may have been
when you stuck your head up in the loft, they froze, it all went
silent.

I'd suggest putting a *small* bit of fruit and nut chocolate just
inside the loft, but on a saucer or something, so it can't be
disturbed. Leave it overnight, check the next day, and see if it's
gone. If not, leave it a few days - if it's still not gone then it's
unlikely to be rodents. If, however, it's vanished, then you've found
your likely culprit.

Velvet