Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Need advice on wiring new thermostat

You have to first determine which of the three cables in the box is the
feed. Then determine which of the two remaining cables is the feed,
continuing to another heater, which should remain spliced to the feed. Then
the last cable is the one to the heater. Once you've determined this, you
can connect it like the diagram. Currently the thermostat is just breaking
one leg of the 240 volts. The second leg, the white wires are spliced
directly. The Honeywell stat needs 240 volts to operate, so you can't just
connect it to one leg like the current thermostat

"Rob" wrote in message
I recently bought a new digital Honeywell line-voltage thermostat to
replace my current one. The thermostat controls one 240V wall heater.
I'm having some trouble because the wiring is different on the new one
compared to the old one (and Honeywell doesn't provide directions).

This is my current thermostat and wiring:

http://www.uploaddress.com//files/855/current1.jpg
http://www.uploaddress.com//files/855/current2.jpg

Although the photo doesn't show it, the red wire from the thermostat
is wire-nutted to two black wires, the black wire from the thermostat
is connected to another single black wire.

Okay, so here is my new thermostat:

http://www.uploaddress.com//files/855/new.jpg

Can someone give me some advice on how to properly hook this up?