Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default I thought the GFI was supposed to trip ?????

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:16:40 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Pop` wrote:

snipped

GFI, Ground Fault Interruptor is a misnomer. "Ground" in the original case
may have been ground, but now, because of poor terminology, is considered
the Neutral conductor. How a GFCI operates has nothing to do with the
ground. Since it senses differences in current between the hot/neutral
conductors, any third wire earth ground is irrelevant to its opeartion. Hot
amps = Neutral amps, all OK. Not equal, it trips. It's literally that
simple.

Pop`

And, don't forget that the more recent GFCI's will detect a leakage path
between the neutral and ground as well, and thus disconnect power when
there's a neutral to ground short.

Jeff

Ok, I thought I knew how GFCI outlets worked, and now I find out
that I didn't know how the test button worked. Fine, I'm ok with
that, but this doesn't make any sense. It seems as if
a nuetral-ground leak should look exactly like a hot-ground
leak, except probably smaller, as there's less resistance downstream
of the correct current path.

How would you tell the difference even if you wanted to?

--Goedjn