Posted to alt.home.repair
John J John J is offline

Default s-trap plug

Jim..it's definetly not a drum trap..I might be wrong about the S.. probably
a P-trap,.. the plug is a square drive threaded plug, and it's very
rusted...

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. ..
John J wrote:
Hi folks..I have a stopped up bath tub drain. Have removed the lever and
chain from the overflow pipe, and cleaned to no luck. There is a plug on
the trap that is pretty rusty. The trap itself appears to be cast metal.
I've tried removing the plug no luck. Sprayed it with penetrating oil,
but probably not getting into the threads very well. Do you think it is
OK to try heating up the pipe with a torch in hopes of removing that
plug, or should I worry about methane gas in the pipe exploding?...I
apologize if this is a dumb question. But it seems like my last resort to
get this thing fixed. Can't snake past the trap.
Appreciate any help. Thanks.. JJ

I doubt it's an "S" trap, more likely a "drum" trap.
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/le...nd-sewers.aspx
scroll sown to Fig. 7

I like the "chisel" method shown, though there can be risk of
breaking things.
If there's no danger of fire, heating the casting will help.

You might also try suctioning the drain with a ShopVac.
Plug the overflow opening with wet rags.

Jim