Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Rob is offline

Default Need advice on wiring new thermostat

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:49:21 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Hmm. I wired it up exactly as you described. Thermostat powers up
normally and runs through self test. I set the temperature, and I
heard it "click" and the display shows it's turning the heater on,
however, the heater never comes on. Any idea on what I could be doing
wrong?

Warning...the following makes sense electrically, but I'm not sure if it
is acceptable to code. I'd appreciate it if someone else could verify.

Unless the thermostat does something "intelligent" to monitor load, you
should be able to treat the new thermostat as a single pole switch, same
as your old one. This would switch only one side of your heater,
leaving the other hot all the time.

Take the single black wire connected to the black thermostat wire, and
hook it up to the inner black wire. Insulate the end of the outer black
wire--this will be live when the heat is on.

Split the two black wires hooked to the old red wire, connect the one
going to the heater with the outer red wire, and the one going to the
supply to the inner red wire.

Chris