Posted to alt.home.repair
Warren Block Warren Block is offline

Default I thought the GFI was supposed to trip ?????

wrote:

Warren Block wrote:
CJT wrote:
Warren Block wrote:

The amount of current on the hot line is the same as that on the
neutral. So as far as the GFI is concerned, there's no ground fault.
It can't tell if it's just the fan motor between hot and neutral, or the
fan motor and you.

The current through his body returns to ground (just like the garage
floor test that follows), not neutral.

Pretty clearly not the case since the GFI didn't trip.

It's not clear, since the current required to feel a shock may be below
the threshold that will trip the GFCI.

A web search said about 5 mA to make a GFI trip, so I see what you're
saying. I thought they were much more sensitive than that, but if they
were they would probably trip too often.