Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Water Heater / Plumbing in Empty House

1. Is it "bad" for the plumbing to leave the system open and empty for
6 months to a year like this?

Not particularly other than some seats or the toilet valves, etc., can
(will?) harden and may require replacement if it is really a long
time...

2. Should I turn off the water heater (gas) altogether, or leave it on
pilot? I was planning to turn it off altogether. Basically, I'm
wondering if I leave the pilot on, will that generate enough heat to
damage the bottom of the mostly empty hot water heater?

If there's no water in the tank, the gas ought to be off simply as a
safety issue irrespective of anything else.

3. Should I leave the faucets open or closed once I've drained the
system?

Don't see much real difference.

4. I wasn't planning to do anything with the washing machine, but is
there something I should do? It's still connected as normal.

I wouldn't leave standing water in the lines,etc. If the water's off
and the heat is on, it isn't going to freeze, but standing water will
certainly create mold, odors, etc., that will quite likely really
detract from value.

5. Should I flush and drain the toilet tank, or will leaving it dry
cause problems when I turn on the water again later?

Same thing -- stagnant water for a long period of time is going to be a
bad deal.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

IMO, going this step is really going to make selling the house even
that much more difficult. How much could the minimum monthly charge be
you're trying to save? Do you have the house listed or are you just
hoping someone will walk buy and see a sign in the yard and call from
afar? Doesn't sound like a plan to really get a house sold if that is
the actual objective.