Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tksirius@gmail.com is offline

Default sealing face of fireplace with cardboard and duct tape

I have glass front doors myself and its still drafty...

In the summer to prevent a downdraft (and that lovely firewood
smell/stink) is
I take a black garbage bag cut it to fit the opening (just a bit
bigger) and use
a quality duct tape (3m stuff) works just fine. It covers the entire
face of
the fireplace and is black. I put the cover in front of it again and
it covers the
duct tape seam. The black bag really isnt noticable at all.

Other thing you can do is take a look at the flue and see if you can
either use towels or insulation around the outer seam. Closing it well
enough might do the trick for you and its tucked away nicely up there.

ap wrote:
Hello,
I have a brick fireplace that is very drafty. The flue is shut, but
there are air leaks. So last weekend, I sealed the face of the
fireplace
with cardboard and held it to the brick fireplace with duct tape for
stucco.

Just today, I noticed the duct tape is coming off the sides and air
is leaking again.

Is there a better type of duct tape for holding cardboard to brick?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks much.