Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Energy Smart Water Heater and Timer use.

Clearfield Consumer wrote:
I recently moved into a home that has a new Whirlpool Energy Smart
water heater that uses the little computer control box and is claimed
to save electricty.

http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com...ectric_how.php

This water heater is also hooked up to a timer. The previous owner had
the control set to "Smart" in which case the water heater operates like
a conventional unit and also had it on a timer.

I am under the impression that a timer on a water heater this new is of
little use and that it will also interfear (sp?) with the operation of
the Energy Smart circuit. I am thinking that setting the control to
"Energy Smart " mode and not useing the timer would be a more
economical choice.

Should I disconnect the timer and let the energy smart circuit do it's
job or can they both be used together?

Do you have OFF PEAK or TIME of DAY or PEAK DEMAD type of electric
service?

These services charge less for electricity depending upon when you use
it. If you have this kind of service, the timer may work to keep the
water heater off during the "expensive" parts of the day....

Mark