Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill S. Bill S. is offline

Default blown output transistors

In article m1jbh.6192$dX4.81@clgrps13,
says...
Last week I posted about an Emerson Research "home theatre" system that I
was given. Two 5A fuses on the CT transformer secondaries blown. This unit
has outputs for two rear speakers (L/R), a center channel (DIN connector)
and two front satellites (L/R). Now the inputs are analog RCA audio so this
box must be just simulating 5.1 using a delay or some other trickery.

With only 3 amp channels, it probably just has a low pass filter to
drive the subwoofer.

What I'm looking for here is an understanding of how the various output
components interact... in particular how the NPN/PNP pairs function

snip

blown pair blown pair good pair
|| || || || || || || || || || || || || || || || || || ||
Tip41--c945--Tip42--Tip41--c945--Tip42--Tip41--c945--Tip42
| | | |
| |
c945 a733 c945 a733 2sc2245 2sa965

My guess, TIP41/42 are outputs, 2SC945/2SA733 are drivers connected
as a darlington configuration with the outputs, 2SC945 is bias
regulator connected between the bases of the drivers. 2SC2245/
2SA965 perform the same driver function but the subwoofer amp
runs at different supply voltages. No need for matching.

What you have drawn is just the current amplifying stages, there
are more transistors or IC's upstream that may or may not be
damaged. And there's a good chance you have some open emitter
resistors on the outputs.