Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus Locutus is offline

Default Florida bookcase tragedy

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
Locutus wrote:

Easy, the bookcase tipped forward some, she fell behind it, and it fell
back toward the wall.

So her body mass and physical strength were sufficient to tip it forward
enough to access the plug on more than one occasion, but not enough to
budge it when she really needed to?

Let me preface this with this is purely conjecture.

Leverage. At the TOP of the bookcase it would require considerable less
force to tip the bookcase than what would be needed once she was behind,
where any force she could exert would be at the middle or bottom of a
bookcase.

Makes sense to me.

Except for the part where she was in the habit of tipping a bookcase away
from the wall merely to access an electrical plug but she could no longer
move the bookshelf when she was fighting for her life. And also the part
where a bookshelf tipped into the room due to a body being wedged in
behind it didn't look odd to anyone.

I doubt she was in the habit of "tipping the bookcase", it was most likely
an accident, if she was on top of the bookcase and lost balance, her weight
could easily tip the bookcase out from the wall. And if that started to
happen, what would most people do? They would shift their bodyweight in the
opposite direction (ie, toward the wall).

I give up. But I still cannot grasp how she could get wedged behind a
bookshelf that she could move to fall behind but not move to escape from.
That is ... why could she move it the first time but not the second?

Remember she was inverted, most likely with the weight of the bookcase
smashing her to the wall, her arms would either be extended abover her, or
to her sides, she would have no way to position herself to exert any
considerable force, considering she was "scrawny".