Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How dangerous are lathes?

The instructor is a jackass and has no business trying to teach anyone
anything

I could not have said it better.

Accidents, when they happen, are not when you start worrying about
protection.

About a decade ago, a high school student was turning when a bowl let
loose and hit him in the head....today he is ten years older and still
a vegetable.

All lathes were removed from neighboring public schools because of this
incident...I have one sitting in my shop.

Others have done an excellent job of covering the safety concerns and
equipment that you need to have.

Use the safety equipment, practice good safety measures and enjoy
turning...and teach anyone else you know that safety does count.

TMT

RayV wrote:
Toller wrote:
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable, since no
one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

You're kidding right? In HS metal shop I was standing right next to a
kid wearing a long sleeve sweater working on a lathe. Sweater got
caught on the work and ripped completely off his body before he or I
could hit the red button.

Luckily no major injury, bruises and brush burns from the fabric, but
could have been much worse. He did have to indure the humilitaion of
having his sweater stapled to the bulletin board in the class for the
rest of the year.