Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default (Oh no, not again!) Balancing CH system

On 28 Nov 2006 15:32:46 -0800, in uk.d-i-y "Velvet"
wrote:

Velvet wrote:
I've googled, read the faq's, but I still have some questions.

Oh, and I've just run around shutting all the TRVs to establish if the
flow rate through teh bathroom rad is sufficient should they all shut.
It's not, because it short-cycles and kettles. It's not *that* likely
during winter that it'd be on from the room stat yet the trvs would all
be shut, but it *does* happen regularly in spring/autumn, due to the
location of the room stat, and it's useful to warm the bathroom up to
help with condensation issues in there

So I'm going to have to rethink all this - it *clearly* needs a higher
flow rate through the bathroom rad, regardless of what the others are
throttled back to.

The room stat should be set so that it cuts the boiler out before all
the room stats close, then this problem won't arise. It is not a perfect
solution because it means the boiler shuts down when one room at least
is still asking for heat, but short of putting in a flow detector switch
it's the best you can do.

Am I doomed to failure with my thought that overly eager rads are
causing mayhem with the trvs, and open all the rads up a bit more (and
settle for a 4C drop across them, or something?)

Velvet

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me