Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default MOLD

wrote:
I believe I have mold in my house and it's spreading. The reason I
believe I have mold issue it's because I've noticing some brown spots
on carpet randomly through out the house. There is some major area with
brown spots on carpet just outside one bathroom. The very same bathroom
has some brown spots on walls and tiles. I also see some heavy mold
area on cabinet wood floor under the sink in the same bathroom.

I hope this is a serious post not a troll?

Also assuming there is no smoking in the house? It doesn't sound like
it.

It sounds like serious dampness/high humidity problem. However: A
pinhole leak in plumbing under the sink? Mouldy or 'rotten' smell??????

Mould (mold) can be toxic and cause long term breathing and toxicity
problems; particularly for children and seniors.

Even in our much cooler climate here we have had schools closed down
for long periods and ripped apart because of mould problems. In fact we
have 600 pupils temporarily moved out of one whole school right now!

If it is high humidity all sources of moisture should be considered and
controlled. Bathrooms are of course a high source. We run our small
bathroom fan for at least half an hour following each shower. Raising
the temperature can in some climates reduce moisture depositing on cool
surfaces, such as windows etc.

Perhaps there is a bare earth crawl space under the house with
moisture wicking up from the ground below? Spread plastic sheet?
Insufficient ventilation? Run bathroom and kitchen fans. Open windows;
get house ventilated at night if it host and humid during the day
(Although we don't know the OPs location or weather). Floors too cold?

Life style. Do not run humidifiers or boil kettles or pots on the stove
excessively. If there is a furnace disable the humidifier. Each human
body puts out humidity daily even during the seven-eight hours we are
asleep.

If contemplating spending $500 on tests and paying other costs (mainly
labour?) that will surely be higher than $125 IMHO, do the 'obvious'
things first. Ventilate regularly, examine life style, remove obvious
sources of moisture, look for rot or mould in structure or foundations
of house.

Consider and get good advice on health effects of possible mould. If
serious move out until solution! Be healthier living in a camper in the
yard than breathing possibly mouldy air daily. Without being alarmist;
poor health probably the highest cost?