Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Window Sealant VOC Question

Jonathan wrote:
1. Is there an alternative product out there that people recommend?
2. Am I being overly concerned? I'm really feeling guilty about having
exposed my family to this stuff. It seems to me that this shouldn't even
really be on the market. (Imagine if I had done all 13 of the old windows in
my house at once!)

You are not being overly concerned. Your calculations are based on a
static situation where all the toluene is released at once where in
fact it would evaporate slowly and even without good ventilation, room
air would be changed. But, ventilation is the key and in an industrial
situation, without adequate ventilation, masks with organic vapor
cartridges or forced air would be required. Personally, if I could not
ventilate, I'd look for something else to seal the windows. I've seen
caulks with far less VOC's, but they are permanent.

Frank