Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default raising and extending ladder

This probably depends on the weight of the ladder and how strong you are. I
have a 30 foot aluminum Class II ladder with some steel reinforcing rods in
it. I cannot lift if from the ground when it is extended, as it weighs too
much and has a lot more leverage than I. Therefore, I need to set it
vertically on its feet and raise it as straight as possible. Then I can
slowly lower it towards the eave or wall of my house. I can keep it under
reasonable control so long as it isn't more than 30 degrees from vertical.
Beyond that, it would come crashing down...

HTH,
Jonathan

--

"monrae fordi" wrote in message
Complete novice has just bought a three piece ladder to clean out the
guttering on a two storey terraced house.

Is there any particular method to get the ladder extended up to the
correct height? Should I balance the ladder vertically and then raise the
individual pieces one at a time? or should I lay it in the garden
horizontally, and then adjust it to the correct height, and then walk it
up to the vertical? Thanks for advice.