Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default How dangerous are lathes?

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
That would be the inside of your lungs otherwise. I wear eye and lung
protection when there's stuff flying around to get me. If it's noisy I
wear hearing protection as well. If I had known way back I was going to
live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself back in the days when I
thought I was bulletproof.

Pretty rare, injuries at a lathe. As far as life-threatening injuries, it's
safer than walking across the street, certainly. Potential is there for
the careless to ding themselves, but it's fairly easy to move the ON/OFF
switch to where you don't have to lean into the disintegration zone to
activate, reasonable to cut standing outside the zone if you push the tool
handle. Makes you an unlikely impact point.

Eyes are very vulnerable and deserve protection. Face shields are often
more trouble in distortion, distraction and discomfort than they're worth,
especially when the above procedures are followed.

Cutting doesn't make dust, though sanding certainly does, so makes sense not
to overload the body's natural defenses and wear something to cut down on
access. Makes better sense to collect close to the point of generation.
When that's done well, it's tough to work up a booger even if you don't wear
a mask.