Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y
Alex Alex is offline

Default Replace old fluorescent tube with brighter?

In Susan P writes:

I am in the UK.

I have an old 13 watt linear fluorescent lamp (20 inch long)
which is not really bright enough for my needs.

Can I replace the tube with a tube of a different technology so
it is brighter?

Bart Z. Lederman wrote:

If the lamp is really old, then a new replacement lamp (bulb)
may help.

[snip]

If those two things don't do enough, then you'll probably need
to get a different fixture. Re-wiring an existing unit to take
a different lamp can be done, but it's really for people with
experience, or who like to tinker and don't mind if they spend
more to make the change than to buy a new lamp.

Get yourself a triphosphor tube, these have higher output than the
older halophosphates. And output falls over time with halos, and
dirt does have quite an effect. Hopefully between those 3 you'll
get enough light again. If not, step up to a 2' fitting or a 23w
cfl..

On 24 Oct 2006, wrote:

Note about tubes: there are good and bad. You'll want anything from
2700K to 3500K, I would not buy anything higher, such as 4500K.

I am in the UK.

In my kitchen I have a five foot tube (1.5 inches diameter) marked
Philips F65W/35 which has been there for about 15 years.

Can a triposphor tube simply be put in where this old style
(halophosphate?) tube has been?

What about the need for improved things I hear about like electronic
balasts and quick start devices. My old fitting seems unlikely to have
any of those.

Rather than upgrade the tube and perhaps have to change components would
it be a whole lot better to get a new triphospor tube and fitting? I
hear that T8 may be the best value.

------

If so then where can I get such a thing from as the DIY shops I have
tried (Focus, Homebase, local shops) don't seem to stock anything marked
"triphosphor". Are they usually marked like that?