Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is tube stiffer than bar?

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to make a lift_and_slide_away storage system for my
Daughters 88 key MIDI keyboard.

So you can get an idea re the bigger picture I'll try to describe what
I have so far the best I can.

It's based around a 2' length of 3/8" diameter SS bar, held solidly by
two sailing dinghy rudder fitting (gudgeon) at either end ..

http://marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/P...ings/PLB42519/

.. to the underside of the front right hand edge of her workbench (so
it looks like a towel rail, sorta like this but with a SS bar g).

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-4259.aspx

We then have a keyboard sized piece of MDF (so ~ 9" x 4'), also with a
pair of gudgeon fittings on the (left hand) end and these are also
threaded onto the same bar (forming a long pivot / 'sliding hinge'
assembly).

With the keyboard base in the horizontal position, one end joined to
her bench on this pivot / bar the other end on a stand (yet decided)
the keyboard is then placed on top, secured with Velcro so it can be
taken away if needed elsewhere.

If she then sits at her desk the keyboard is at the same level as the
desk and running down the right hand side of her (and her room) now
looking like a mini music studio. ;-)

When she is finished using the keyboard the idea is she lifts up the
right hand end of the keyboard (+ it's base, like a public bar door
top) till the keyboard is nearly in the vertical position, then slides
it back along the 'hinge' until it gets to the wall where it will rest
in a suitable stop / support (design yet to be finalised).

I have currently got this all clamped up for testing but have found
the 3/8" SS bar is quite 'springy', allowing the fairly heavy keyboard
+ base assembly to wobble / bounce about a bit whilst it's being slid
back (but it's ok when in the 'play' position).

But it all works (so far) but I wondered if I could replace the SS bar
with *tube* (of the same diameter) and would that better / (stiffer)?

No. A tube is really just a rod with the heavy and low stressed material
removed.

Also, if not stainless is there anything else that could be used that
would make a nice sliding 'hinge' do you think please (and I don't
really want to re-design it all. e.g. silver steel, would that go
rusty?) ;-(

You MIGHT find a carbon fibre tube is a bit stiffer..3/8" is 10mm give
or take

Try here..

However its not a good bearing surface.

There are custom keyboard sliding mounts and the like made for 19" rack
use..

There are radio keyaboards...

For a cantilever, I'd be thinking more in terms of 1/2"-3/4" steel...

I *might* be able to open the nylon inserts up in the ends of the
gudgeons and use a larger diameter rod / bar (I would drill / bore
them out in pairs to maintain concentricity).

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m