Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default MOLD

wrote:
I believe I have mold in my house and it's spreading. The reason I
believe I have mold issue it's because I've noticing some brown spots
on carpet randomly through out the house. There is some major area with
brown spots on carpet just outside one bathroom. The very same bathroom
has some brown spots on walls and tiles. I also see some heavy mold
area on cabinet wood floor under the sink in the same bathroom.

I bought the of-the-shelf mold kit and test was positive for mold. I've
sent the sample to the lab for more detail analysis. Now I am not sure
what to do. I have mold coverage from my insurance company but they
will pay for it if it's caused by a water leakage. My dilemma is..

1) How can I determine if I have a leak in draining? I checked the
water meter and it doesn't seem like water coming in the house is
leaking but I don't know about the drain leak and how to determine that
2) I called the mold inspector and he said that he would charge $500
for test and then charge @ $125 for mold mitigation plan. Is it worth
spending this money?
3) All I care about it to get rid of mold and the source of the mold.
Do you think I need to replace the carpet? I am planning to do that in
future anyway. But I just don't want to replace it, I want to make sure
it's not underneath the carpet and it is easy to find that out? Same
thing with the tile and sheet rock...do I need to replace them or just
clean it with some bleach or chemicals??

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

the first thing I would do would be to get a humidity gauge and check
it . Perhaps run a dehumidifier for a while if its very high . Mold
will grow in wet areas.

Use a cleanser that will inhibit mold for cleaning up walls in the
bathroom . A dilute bleach will work if nothing better is available.
Spray the mold , wait for it to die and clean up whats left.

Rent a rug doctor and give the entire carpet a cleaning.

If you have mold in the wall cavities its a very expensive business to
get rid of it .