Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Attic electrical outlet sealing

jst wrote:

I recently put up a ceiling fan and felt a lot of cool air coming around
the ceiling outlet. What is the best way to seal ceiling outlets? I
currently have 12" of blown in fiberglass. A friend suggested a cap to
go over the outlet but I have not been able to find one at lowes & home
depot.

Any suggestions??

Perhaps try a "real" building supply outlet? An electrical supply house
might have them too, call around.

If you can't find them you can always cut some regular 4 mil plastic
sheeting to rest over the box in the attic and duct tape it to the
sheetrock and then put the insulation back over it. If it's a ceiling
fan box there won't be any heat issues like there are with recessed
lights.

Pete C.