Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Water cylinder anodes

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Nov 28, 10:35 pm, Mark wrote:

How long are these anodes supposed to last? There is no obvious

access
to the anode, and the installation and maintenance instructions

make no
reference to the anode, other than that it is there. Presumably

the
anode is attached to the actual cylinder - but that is buried

beneath
foam insulation, which is covered by a riveted casing.

They should be inspected when the cylinder is serviced and replaced

as
necessary The manufacturers usually recommend annual servicing.

They're
sacrificial; whilst the anode is corroding your cylinder doesn't.

When
the anode is gone, problems start.

There must be a means of replacing them; are you sure there isn't a
screw-in rod type thing? I don't know that make. Anodes in steel

water
tanks are usually a magnesium alloy ingot, connected to the tank

with a
bit of copper cable and lobbed into the water; something similar

would
work.

I think the sacrificial anodes are now prohibited by the water
regulations; cylinders I've seen recently have an electric corrosion
protection device that is connected to the mains.

Three used cylinders I recently employed in a heat recovery system all
have an anode (or at least the remains of one) apparently rivetted to
the centre of the domed base, and as such are totally inaccessable for
replacement.

AWEM