Posted to alt.home.repair
garmo garmo is offline

Default Clearing Toilet Siphon Jet Passageway

If you are wanting to clean the passage way to the holes on the
underside of the rim of the bowl, Use wads of paper towel held in place
with a putty (plumber's putty) all the way around the underside of the
rim. Then pour an acid based cleaner into the overflow tube in the
tank. This will clean out the pathway to the holes, and the paper towel
will keep it in place to allow it to work.

-g

Chuck wrote:
I have a Crane toilet I installed new in 1985. It worked normally for
many years. Then over the past year or so the flushing action slowed
until it now requires two or three attempts to obtain a complete flush.
I suspect that a clogged passageway to the siphon jet is not allowing
water to enter the bowl fast enough to create a flush (I can achieve a
complete flush on the first attempt by dumping a bucket of water
directly into the bowl, so I know the bowl-to-sewer pipe passage is
clear). I've inserted #14 gauge solid wire a couple of inches into each
bowl rim rinse hole to check for clogs (e.g. mineral deposits) and
found none. I've also done the same thing to the siphon jet hole at the
bottom of the bowl....again no clog found there. I've snaked 1/8"
flexible steel cable through each of the four largest rim rinse holes
and through the large tank-to-bowl hole as far as I could push it....2
or 3 ft. depending on the particular hole......again with no obvious
evidence of clogs.

I'm wondering if the internal passageway(s) leading to the siphon jet
are clogged somewhere beyond the point (probably a sharp bend in the
passageway) I can reach with the solid wire or the flexible cable. I'd
like to fill all the passageways (both rim rinse and siphon jet) with
calcium/lime/rust remover solution and let it sit for a day or so.
Toward that end I've tried sealing the rim rinse holes with duct tape
(after cleaning the rim) and plugging the siphon jet with plumber's
putty. No dice.....the putty loosens almost right away and the tape
does so after only a few minutes.....then the solution drains to the
bottom of the bowl.

Anyone have any suggestions for adequately sealing the rinse and siphon
holes so the chemical solution can have time to work?