Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Charles Friedman Charles Friedman is offline

Default My new lathe toys...

Re spinning different metals:

There are some soft aluminum alloys that spin well and dont really work
harden. If I remember correctly the 1000 series and possibly the 3000
series will work well. .063 is a bit thick. Half that thickness or
something like 18 gauge (non ferrous) would be a lot easier.
When making spinning forms soft wood can work and you can always lock around
the form and then burn out the form to recover the spun part.
Pewter is a great metal to spin: no work hardening and it polishes easily.
Some of the stainless alloys can be spun, but only when heated red hot with
a torch while spinning. Not for the fainthearted!
Always anneal the copper before spinning.
The very light gauges (under .020) are sometimes more difficult to spin.
Spinning with a drag tool as you described is not how I learned to do this.
I used compound roller tools. Search for James Reiser's web site for a lot
of information. He also has a DVD he put together. I think that someone
else also made a DVD.
Good luck.

Charles Friedman DDS
Ventura by the Sea