Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Strange noise - deathwatch beetles?

mo wrote:
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from outside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

Anyone had any experience of this? What is the noise meant to be like?

I stuck my head into the attic - it has that insulation stuff all over
it - I couldn't hear anything but the problem is that its really cold up there
and you can sort of hear the outside as well so I would think the noise
I can hear in my room would not be audible from sticking my head in.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I've never hear beetles but mice seem like scraping when gnawing and
the sound of them running is quite distinctive.

What plumbing is there in the attic? Also, it could be a bird roosting
or even something flapping in the guttering. Is the loft door secure?
That might rattle in a draught. Put a brick on top of the door and that
should change it if not cure it.

The birds need to be discouraged if it is them by blocking any access
points that will have been caused originally by weathering and rot. If
you have bats though you will have environmental protection issues.

Whichever, if either; you need to make sure the attic is empty before
closing any holes.