Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Is tube stiffer than bar?

Tony Bryer wrote:

work in 1/16" for ease of calculation.

I wonder if the imperial system is the reason why the British used to
seem so much more inventive than dago/gerry types.

I'm convinced that the love of the game fluxed out once metric became
the norm. I supposed it was just me getting older and jaded.

It would explain the inertia in the mature tradesmen when the switch
occurred. It wasn't just reluctance to change but revulsion at the
digitalising what has always been an analogue sport.

It might also explain why there is so much acceptance of dodgy
materials and techniques these days. This may seem kook territory to
some but there is a lot to it I feel.

With the imperial system you could think in terms of volume at the same
time as you were considering lengths and breadths.