Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Chimney Cap Needed?

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I recently to get an old fireplace up and running. It's a brick and
mortar fireplace with a newly installed gas log set in it. Prior to
installing the gas logs, I had the flue closed up to keep the cold air
out. Once I opened it, I got cold air coming into the house.

Gas logs are nice.

You can usually operate the in a "ventless" mode. The ones I have are

like
that.

IF your logs can be operated in "ventless" mode (i.e.: they shut off when
the O2 level falls and they tend to burn with grossly excess oxygen) then
there is little or no point in opening the flue.

If you want to flue to start "working" you have to get it warm/hot. That
means you operate you gas logs at maximum output and gradually open the
flue. When the flue "works" you are wasting most of the heat the gas

logs
produce. Fireplaces aren't particularly efficient; they are just for

looks
and feel. You get the same effect from the ventless logs.

You should get a CO detector (preferably "digital") just in case but Gas
Logs just don't put out ANY CO.

I would investigate this claim thoroughly before I trusted it.

Bob