Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bogus1one@yahoo.com is offline

Default Too Much Water In Dishwasher

Jeff wrote:
I would guess the float valve is not always sealing completely. Usually
dishwashers turn on the water for a fixed amount of time. The float stops
the fill.

My understanding is that the fresh water is on for only a set amount of
time as you say. But everything I've read suggests that the float is
only there to stop the thing from flooding. In a properly operating
dishwasher, the float should never kick in to stop the thing from
filling. However, I am perfectly willing to be corrected in this if
this is incorrect.

Then nothing happens for awhile until the fill cycle times out
then the wash cycle begins. Same for drain cycle, pump turns on for longer
than necessary to drain. I believe there is only one pump. A solenoid is
used to send outlet of pump to either the drain hose or the spray jets. If
it were not working fully this might also cause your problem. Even if water
came back in it would only be amount in the hose doesn't seem like this
would be as much as you are seeing.

Hmmmm...If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that it's
possibly spraying at the same time it's draining when it should only be
draining. This sounds like a plausible theory but I fairly certain I
don't hear the water being sprayed around while it's draining. I'll
have to check this tonight after work. And I know that I hear the
solenoid click when the drain cycle starts but maybe it's not got a
good seal?

A side note, I was home when my dish washer (Maytag) was installed and kept
the installation instructions. They tell you how special button codes to
enter to test the various functions of the washer, never had to use but nice
to have, see if something like this can be downloaded for yours.

Interesting. I'll have to see about that.

Thanks.
Dan