Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bogus1one@yahoo.com is offline

Default Too Much Water In Dishwasher

RE, how does it get the right fill, there was a discussion about that
in here few months ago. Dishwashers have float switches. On my GE,
it's near the front and covered by a plastic dome. Now, the
interesting part is this. I assumed they used the float to measure
when to cut off the water. Someone here that was from an appliance
parts place and seemed to know what he was talking about, said that is
not how it's done. He said they just time the flow, as you described
and the float is used to guard against overflow. Not 100% sure I buy
that, as it would seem very easy and accurate to use a float. Like,
with timing, how do they account for different pressure and consequent
flow rates?

Not sure, but I think what the guy says is right. Water going into the
tub is timed so if you have greater water flow, you'll have more water
in there.

Also, in your list of symptoms, something doesn't sound right. You
said that it starts to fill again while it's still draining out. Are
you sure it does that, as opposed to there just being water left?

I'm absolutely certain that it starts to fill while it's still
draining. I can see the water still coming out at the same time I hear
the fresh water going into the tub.

I would think that the controller would have to turn off the pumpout
before starting to refill, even if it were not empty.

Which all seems to fit with the fresh water being a strictly timed
thing. That is, at a certain time into the whole dishwashing cycle,
fresh water **will** be pumped in.

The big question in all this is how old it is. If it's 10+ years old,
it may not be worth putting any real money into it.

Yeah, it's 10+ yrs old but spending $100 or so is far less than getting
a new one. Besides, it's a good learning experience for me.