Grant Erwin

Default Used Gas Cylinders

I have to admit that back in the early '80s when I bought my first set
of owner oxy/acetylene tanks, I didn't like the cut of the seller's jib.
So I took my little 4½" angle grinder, put its sanding disc on, and sanded
off the raised lettering on the neck ring, then I repainted the tank. No
problems then or ever since. I don't know that what I did was even immoral
let alone illegal, but then I didn't want to know either, so I don't feel
real good about it today, but you can do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Matt wrote:

Years ago I bought a little 20cf argon bottle at a swap meet for use
with my MIG welder and though I got some odd looks when I brought it
to a gas supply place to get filled I've been using it ever since with
no problems, having gotten it filled at a number of welding and gas
supply places. Now I'd like to get a bigger bottle and I've seen some
at swap meets/garage sales but I want to make sure what I'm getting is
on the up and up. Most of the bottles I see have some sort of company
name marked on them in one place or another (either stamped into the
tank or on the gas label), does this necessarily mean the tank was
stolen/not returned to a gas supply house? Will I have trouble getting
these tanks filled? I assume gas supply houses keep pretty good track
of their bottles so I find it hard to believe that all of these are
stolen. Any suggestions or advise?

Matt