Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default 12v 300ma transformers to power pc case fans?

"Ancient_Hacker" ) writes:
wrote:
I have a few old transformers that output 12volts at 300milliamps.
I was wondering if it was all that important to use resistors to get
the current within the stated specs for a pc case fan I wanted to try
to run on it.
I have a fan that states 0.2amps and another that states 0.45amps.
Would it matter much if I used this transformer for either of these
fans as it is now?
Or would it likely ruin either fan?

Why not use the Pc's power supply? It's there, convenient, probably
able to handle quite a few more amps of load, and automatically
switche4d at the right times.

I assumed the fan had nothing to do with the computer.

Every time I pass a computer on the sidewalk waiting for the garbage truck,
I look it over. If it's recent enough and has ram, at the very least I'll
extract that. Sometimes the hard drives, and usually (because they are
easy to extract, and the cases can be used for building other things in),
the power supplies. Hence I have a lot of fans from PC power supplies.
I've made a few fans for the warm weather out of them, and have used
AC adaptors to power them. They work fine, and often create enough of
a breeze without me feeling like I'm facing a major storm.

Michael