Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing flourescent light unit

"Cast-it Admin" wrote in message

Yes thanks I thought I wasn't going mad. The leaflet actually over
emphasises the need to switch off at the mains - it's the only bit printed
in red bold underlined type - I suppose Tony Blair got one of his nannies
to write it :-)

The switch is about 4ft from the unit and I would tape something over it -
just in case!!!

This is best answered by someone in the UK rather than the USA. UK wiring
is a bit different than ours. How sure of the wiring are you? If the
switch only breaks one pole, the other would still be live and a potential
shock. Do you know how to test it? Is it a double pole switch?

If you feel a tingle in your body, you will then know the correct answer it
to turn off the breaker.