Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Too Much Water In Dishwasher

wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

So it appears I have more than one problem. Only now, on some of the
cycles it will drain before filling up again and on others it won't.
It'll keep on draining while letting fresh water in at the same time.

That may be normal, as part of a rinse to get all the soapy water out. I
know my old DW did that.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post.

The DW will fill with fresh water and then go through a cleaning cycle.
It will then attempt begin to drain all the dirty water. However,
because there is too much water in the tub, it begins to fill up again
for the next rinse cycle while it's still draining from the previous
cycle. So what happens is the new water is coming in while the old and
new water is being pumped out. As a result, all the new water gets
flushed out of the thing and then it will sit through a cycle with no
water in it.

Am I correct in thinking that the valve to open the fresh water line is
controlled by the timer? That is, the timer tells the valve to open
and then a short while later it tells it to close?

And a second question, how does the dishwasher know when to stop
draining? In other words, how does it know the tub is empty?

Thanks.
Dan

We had a similar problem with a GE and found it had TWO flapper valves.

TB