Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sump question

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:52:22 -0500, Marc_G wrote:

In article , NOPSAMmm2005
says...
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:05:01 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

You need a check valve on your output right at the pump. The discharge line
is draining back into your sump and making it seem like more water than it
is.

When my sump is filling the water that runs back from the discharge
line is equal to about 2 seconds of water that comes in through the
pipes that feed the sump. But it takes 30 seconds or more to fill the
sump. So it makes it seem like there is 6 percent more water than
there is.

Next ttime I redo the pupm, I'll put in a check valve, but they seem
hard to find. They weren't with everything else in HD today.

Ask one of the helpers at HD or Lowes. Sometimes the check valves are
over with the PVC pipes etc.

I looked there too. I think I had trouble finding one years ago, when
I wanted it in the basement drain. But I'll find them. If I don't
use the water powered pump.

instead of with the sump hardware, or vice
versa. They always have them. Buy two check valves; they are cheap. Put

one right above the pump, and another just before or after the point
where the vertical rise bends ~90 degrees to carry the water laterally.

Be sure to put them in with the flow going the direction!

I think I should have them going in both directions. LIke traffic
lights have bulbs facing both directions.
Marc