Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Fan in microwave oven going out

Yes. I put the cover back on the stirrer motor before starting. I've come
to the conclusion that the cooling/ventilation fan is getting weak. It's
slow to start up and even then only runs at half speed. It is located
towards the back so I''ll have to pull the unit off the wall to get to it.
It will take me a few days to do that. I saw a thermistor on the magnetron.
Looks like part of a thermal cutout circuit. Since that will keep it from
overheating I think I'm safe using the oven like this for the short term.
Hey, I'm a bachelor. I can't survive without my microwave!

DaveL

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Please note that if you can see the microwave stirrer through a hole
without
intervening wire mesh and the hole is more than a fraction of an inch
in diameter, the microwaves can get to you!

However, if it was only on for a couple of seconds, the magnetron filament
hasn't had a chance to get hot.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

"dave" nospam writes:

Well, I tried another test. I taped a piece of tissue paper to the air
inlet
into the cooking area and ran the unit. The airflow is simultaneous with
the fan noise (which has been slow to activate and not as loud). So it
is
the fan and I need to lube it and the unit must come off the wall to do
it.
Bummer.

DaveL

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
I just took a chance and started the oven for 2 seconds with the panel
off.
The fan looks like it's turning just fine. Maybe it is the stirer.

DaveL

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
Well, I have a couple of the covers off. I have the control panel off
and I can see the fan. It's in the back and not accessable without
removing the entire unit (it's a GE, over the stove type). I'd like
verify if the cooling fan is not turning (it's been very quiet
lately).
I also took off the bottom panel to reveal a small cover which I also
removed revealing the stiring motor. This oven still cooks evenly so
guess the stirer is Ok? Can I run the oven to check the fan with the
control panel off? Is that safe? I can see the magnetron housing in
front of the fan. It seems to be ducted under the bottom to the
stirer.

Dave