Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Basement Shop, Narrow Stairs--Table Saw?

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 01:26:52 -0600, ()
wrote:

In article ,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Chris Wolf" wrote in message

I would like to get a real table saw, so I'm wondering if anyone can
recommend
a good model that would be easier than most to get down stairs. What I'm
hoping in particular is that certain models come partially unassembled, so
the
pieces would be manageable enough even though the whole saw wouldn't be.

Forget the stairs. IIRC, a few years back it was on this newsgroup that
someone had a simple solution. They cut a hole in the floor and cut a
portion of one joist, lowered the tools down to the basement, then patched
the floor.

I owned a small rowhouse once where a previous owner had actually done
this to get a furnace into the basement.

I don't know why home builders don't consider their designs when it
comes to getting things in and out. What do they think, furnaces and
such last forever?