Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default What is a reasonable deposit?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:20:19 GMT Phil L wrote :
And yet 'watchdog' type programmes say don't part with any money
until the job has been completed to satisfaction, and many customers
try to take it seriously

Watchdog et al might not want to accept it, but there are rogue
customers out there too. And any sensible contractor will want to
protect himself against unforseen eventualities like the customer
dying suddenly.

In my BCO days we had a first class builder on my patch, a couple of
brothers + hired labour who felt it quite beneath them to ask for any
money until the job had been completed to the customer's satisfaction
- which it invariably was. Then on one job Mrs Client took a live-in
lover and Mr C moved (probably involuntarily) out. Unfortunately they
were half way through a loft conversion and Mrs C had no money, nor
did the lover and Mr C refused to pay up until the divorce settlement
went through. After that they asked for stage payments.