Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Outdoor Christmas Tree With Lights Not In Series?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:52:09 -0500, "Gary Brown"
wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I've had it with series Christmas lights. Are there outdoor trees
with lights not in series?

For clarification, when lights are in series if one goes out they all
go out. I want some where only the burned out bulb goes out.

Thanks,
Gary

You make it sounds like your trees should include lights.
THEY DONT.....
You have to add the lights....
(unless you are talking about pre-lighted plastic trees).

If you want parallel wired lights, use the old C9 strings. Those are
the traditional outdoor lights that have been around since the 1950s
(or maybe the 40's). The disadvantage of these, they use lots of
power. The 9 means 9 watts. Ten bulbs in 90W, so 100 would be 900W.
Thst could cost you several bucks a day to operate.

The C7 (7 watt) types are made for indoor use only (or at least used
ot be). Maybe there is an outdoor variety (not sure). There are also
some 5 watt ones, but I believe they are also called C7 (I think).
The latest thing are the LED lights. I have not tried them, but I
have seen em in stores and they look like the mini bulbs without all
the hassles. Unless you cut or break a wire or a dog chews them up,
they should last forever, and they wont eat huge watts of power....

Just a guess, (maybe someone can give an exact figure), but 100 LEDs
probably use 10 watts at most......
At that rate you could leave them on 24/7 for the whole month of
December and only add a few dollars to your electric bill.

This is the year I will probably buy a few strings of them.

Mark