Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Report: Tiling over laminate counters--success!

spake thus:

How did you deal with the raised edges around the sink?

Did those rolled edges also have a hump? If so how did you deal with
that?

Ah, yes, the rolled edges; should have said a word about those.

What we did was to score the laminate about 1-1/2" back from the edge
with a utility knife, then strip it off. (It came off pretty easily.)
This left a particle-board hump, actually a separate piece from the
counter. I just ran a hand plane (my 9" Stanley jack plane) over the
hump and made it disappear. Ended up with a nice flat front edge.

The trick is to use the mortar that we already had bought, which was
polymer-modified (*not* latex-modified), which will basically stick to
anything (well, not sure about glass, but just about anything else).
Just to be sure, we scuffed up the Formica with coarse sandpaper.

Why not use self-drilling cement board screws?

Those would work too. As it was, the screws weren't really holding
anything together, just locating the underlayment until the mortar set.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)