Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Cub Scout Project

So, I'm out here sanding this Pinewood Derby Garage project, by hand,
because it's a nice quiet Sunday and I don't feel like listening to a
sander and don't want dust flying all around me and the shop.

Next, I'm going to prime the sticks and then later on knock the fuzz
off.

Tomorrow night at the pack meeting there will be a dozen nine and ten
year olds with brushes, slopping on some blue and gold paint.

Here's the deal; I already figured on taking the result of the cubbies
efforts and treating their color coat as a build coat. That means
that I'll be sanding their coat down smooth and shooting a couple of
color coats in the booth, followed by a few clear coats, so that there
is something to resist the graphite lube that gets all over everything
having to do with Pineywood Derby stuff, as well as just making it
look spanky.

They'll be doing this painting in the lunch room of the grade school,
and the maintenance guy will be watching us like a hawk. Also, I'll
need to be able to pack up the freshly painted sticks and bring them
back to my shop without them getting all stuck together.

What I need to know is: is there some kind of super fast drying
paint, maybe to be had from a craft store, that will be easy to wipe
up when it spills and be easy to sand when it's dry.

The meeting lasts for an hour and I figure the painting will take
forty five minutes. It would be lovely if the paint would dry enough
to pack during the remaining fifteen minutes because watching paint
dry is a little to much Zen for a Monday night.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/