Pete & sheri

Default Electric hack saw questions

I have had very good luck with my HF-Style "4 X 6" special. The exact
one I have has a USA made 1/2 hp motor. There is a website around here
somewhere that has a lot of good "tune-up" info for this type of saw.
Use the best blade you can buy, I use the Do-All Imperial 100 style
blade at about $20 each, but well worth it. I use the 10 tooth blade
for almost everything, from 4" round solid annealed tool steel to thin
tubing and have never lost a tooth. But I hide my blades from others
who tell me I have to have at least two teeth in the material so they
don't chew me out.
I always run the saw at the highest speed it will go. The blades
last a long time, except when my kids come over and try to cut hardened
tool steel.
This is a home shop. I probably saw for about 6 to 8 hours per
month, normally, but sometimes, when I get in a fab job, I may saw for 2
or 3 8 hours days in a row.

Pete Stanaitis
----------

SteveB wrote:

What electric hack saw would you buy and why? Is the HF variety okay, and
will they last a reasonable amount of time, or should I spring for more
money, and get a better one? Sources? Northern Tools? What do I look for
in a good saw?

What blades do I use for cutting .065-.120 tubing, and stock up to 1/2"?
Sources? TPI? Probably the biggest thing I would cut is 3 x 3 x .120

And when fixing blades, what is the procedure? Worth the time, or just take
them to a shop? What equipment is needed to repair blades?

TIA

Steve