Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default How do I bleed my radiators?

On 26 Nov 2006 05:31:37 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Hi, I just bought a Cape Cod and the second floor is freezing at night.
It seems the radiators don't get as hot as they do downstairs. It's hot
water heat, could this be an issue of the radiators needing to be bled?
I can't figure out how to do it. I turned the knobs pictured below and
nothing happened. Do these type of radiators get bled from the
basement?

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9620/dscf0640fy6.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6781/dscf0641qk1.jpg

Looks like you have an automatic air vent (The fat cylinder on top)
isolated by a manual shut off valve.

Open the manual shut off (turn the handle so it is inline with the
pipe). Unscrew the cap that looks like a tire valve cap. Press on
the little pin inside untill all the air flows out and you get some
water flowing out.

If you don't get any water, then you don't have enough water or static
pressure in the system, or you have a solid air lock; probably time to
call a pro.

If you get water, then screw the little cap on but leave it a turn or
two loose and leave the manual valve on. The automatic vent has a
float inside that should automatically bleed air but not leak water.
If water continues to leak out, the automatic vent has failed. You
can have it replaced, or you can turn off the manual valve and
remember to bleed them periodically by hand.

You may need to repeat this a few times over a few days to get all the
air out.

HTH,

Paul